Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Thoisich mi!

Nobody bought a single thing of lilac at the markets this past weekend. But I made a little start on getting the land cleared anyhow. I went down with my 4-wheeler and cut the first 4 of 9 blown-down trees I can see blocking the road into the place. There may well be more farther in. I dragged one of them up to the house with the 4-wheeler and cut it up. It seemed pretty rotten on the outside, but it is tamarack, which doesn't rot fast, so the inside is sound and it will make good firewood.
There is a sort of road going over to the place, made, I suppose, when they cut the pulpwood there, if not before. But I have not been able to drive in there with my machine, because of the trees across the road. Maybe, if I cut them I can get there, though I don't know if I can get across the swamp. It is going to need a culvert eventually. It would be an advantage to be able to go over and choose the site before I call the machine operators at all. I guess I could go around through the neighbors property, but I'd probably have to clear a road there too. Still, that would avoid the swamp.
There is a woman who wants to help by buying a lilac spoon, but what she is doing is replacing her favorite one that broke, so I think I should try to make her one more or less like it, but I don't have a lot of lilac wood left. I need to make more spoons anyhow and started a batch yesterday, but I had all kinds of trouble yesterday at everything I did. It seemed I couldn't do anything right, and I got less than half as many done as I hoped. I hope it goes better today. Anyhow, I'd better go work.

No comments:

Post a Comment