Saturday, October 16, 2010

I am going to write a new post instead of answer the comments on my last one individually. By the time I got to the bank I had $80 to deposit to the lilac labyrinth account. I got a few more dollars today, I think $8.
There is a guy who works at the shop where they repair things like my 4-wheeler, who lives a few miles farther away from there than I do, and he said he'd come over and get it this weekend to take to work with him on Monday to fix it. I did some more testing and monkeying with it myself and I find the battery is OK, the headlights and the electric winch work, since I shined up the piece that connects to the battery, but the starter still doesn't give even a click. It could be the starter motor, the relay, the push-button start switch, one of the 2 safety interlocks meant to keep you from starting it in gear without the brake on, the ignition switch, or just a bad connection. I'm going to let them figure it out, since I have to get them to replace the cracked gas tank which keeps getting rainwater in it, anyhow.
I will answer Margie's question here, because it may be something I should make clear to other people: Yes, you can use a lilac spoon for cooking or eating. It is more important than most woods to keep putting some olive oil on to prevent cracks developing on account of swelling and shrinking, because it is so hard. It is the only wood I've been able to make an eating fork out of without the prongs breaking off, which shows it is very strong.
I was eating some of the last picking of beans of the year when I started writing this post. I think the bean plants are still surviving, in spite of light frost, but they won't produce any more, so I got my nephew's stepson to pick all that remained.
I heard from my friend Kathy that her brother in Pennsylvania reports the same thing about the leaves there, and a friend in Maine also says the same thing, that the leaves are falling without turning color. It gives a strange feeling, but today it did feel more normal, because a lot of the remaining leaves have now turned color.

Terron

No comments:

Post a Comment